Your resume is one of the most crucial tools you have to secure an interview and get the job you want.
Here is our checklist to make sure your resume is the best it can be.
- Resume should be 1-3 pages long
- Contact information is easy to find
- Information is factual, brief and clearly expressed
- Resume sells you as the perfect candidate for the job, based on what the employer is looking for in the job description
- Relevant skills are highlighted as the first thing on the resume
- Resume is easy to understand and clearly outlines your background
- Include month and year of employment history
- Identify any breaks in your employment history
- Older or less relevant jobs have fewer bullet points
- Transferable experiences are included and explained
- Relevant academic achievements and qualifications are included
- Keywords from job description are incorporated
- Include your past job duties and career accomplishments
- Include life experience, volunteering and hobbies to show off your personality
- Include referees that you have approval from before providing their contact details
- Headers and bullet points are consistently formatted throughout
- Resume is easy to read and has been spellchecked
- Saved as PDF and named the file Firstname Lastname – Month Year.pdf.